2017 NFL Draft Position Rankings-Pre-Draft

2017 NFL Draft Position Rankings
Nick Gaschler
QBs


1.Deshaun Watson-Clemson

The draft has come full circle for Watson. After coming in the season as the #1 QB, he fell through the season to #4 and has risen all the way back to #1 after the Combine. His film is inconsistent, but he still rose.


2.Patrick Mahomes-Texas Tech

Patrick Mahomes is a wild animal in the QB field. He can be a huge franchise QB and can be a great QB, but at the same time he needs to develop(like the rest of the class.) I put Mahomes at #2 because of his arm strength and accuracy.


3.Mitchell Trubisky-UNC

Trubisky may be the most ready to play QB in this draft, but he still has a long way to go hence his drop in my ranks. If you give him time to develop before playing, I think he can be a very successful QB in the league.


4.DeShone Kizer-Notre Dame

Kizer has taken a dip since his postseason stance. I think a lot of that has to do with inconsistency and a bad Combine performance. Regardless, he can still improve and become a franchise QB, I just think it will take him longer than the others above him.


5.Brad Kaaya-QB-Miami(Fla.)

Kaaya move back into the top 5 after a solid Pro Day. I think his biggest problem is dealing with pressure because that is important and he can’t do it. He will be a good backup QB in the league for the next couple years and may even inherit a starting job.




RBs


1. Leonard Fournette-LSU

Fournette did not jump at his highest(28 inches), but he still performed well at the 40 yard dash and position specific drills. I think Fournette will become as good a runner as ‘Zeke or Todd Gurley in his rookie season and will go high in this year’s draft.


2.Christian McCaffrey-Stanford

McCaffrey is the triple threat, I think a lot of teams look for to add to their offense. I thin with a Combine and a Pro Day that showed teams his potential he has risen up board to the point at which scouts are debating top-10 potential.


3.Dalvin Cook-Florida State

With shoulder issues, I question where Cook will fall especially after a bad Combine and the character issues in his past. He is still a talented RB with 1st Round potential and i think he will be a great fit with someone in the late teens to early 20s.


4.Alvin Kamara-Tennessee

Alvin Kamara was another player that won the combine, jumping 39.5 inches. He may not be a 1st rounder, but is hopping in between the 1st and 2nd round. I think with a strong Pro Day, Kamara will launch himself into the 1st Round of the draft.


5.Samaje Perine-Oklahoma

Perine is a power back that will be a great bargain as he isn’t too valued as of now. I still think his size is a huge asset as it is for D’Onta Foreman and Leonard Fournette and he will be a good RB in a committee like at Oklahoma




WRs


1.Mike Williams-Clemson

Williams did well at the Combine and his draft stock rose. Obviously Corey Davis was injured which didn’t give me anything to watch, but still Williams showed me that he really can step up and be the best. Williams is physical and would be a great outside WR anywhere.


2.Corey Davis-Western Michigan

Despite being injured, Davis will continue to shine in the class. I think he will be a sharp slot receiver in his career as he is a good underneath threat, but he can also play outside and catch plenty of touchdowns.


3.John Ross III-Washington

Ross has the most hype because of his 40 time and I think it raised his stock, but not enough to overcome Corey Davis or Mike Williams. Still it will help him go higher as he was very athletic at the Combine as well. He is still very consistent and will be great.


4.Zay Jones-East Carolina

Jones did very well at the Combine on Saturday which further advances my opinion that he deserves a 1st Round nod. He has the best hands in the class and has the opportunity to be a great slot receiver.  


5.JuJu Smith-Schuster-USC

Smith-Schuster did O.K. at the Combine and his biggest competition, Cooper Kupp, didn’t do well. Therefore, JuJu will take this spot. He still has good hands and is a very good outside WR that will do well on the next level. He will be a good outside WR at a backup level.






TEs


1.OJ Howard-Alabama

Though I haven’t evaluated TE’s yet, I have seen Howard’s ability through film that I see in video’s and I have got to say, he is pretty great. He went back in his senior year to improve his blocking and I would say he improved it by a lot.


2.David Njoku-Miami(Fla.)

Njoku was a reliable target for Brad Kaaya to throw to while at Miami and I think he will be great in the NFL. He is a 1st Round pick that I think will make an impact in the early to mid 20s. He is a big target that will succeed on the next level.


3.Evan Engram-Ole Miss

Evan Engram did very well at his Pro Day and I think he has launched himself into the early 2nd Round to maybe even the bottom of the 1st. He has been catching passes from Chad Kelly and if given someone better will really succeed on the next level.


4.Jake Butt-Michigan

Despite a torn ACL that has punched his draft stock in the face, Butt is still the cream of the crop after these Big Three. He will be a huge bargain for whichever team drafts him the mid rounds(3-4).


5.Gerald Everett-South Alabama

Everett had a notable Pro Day for the Jaguars and I think he would be an excellent 3rd or 4th Round pick like Jake Butt. He will make an impact in a couple years when he can start(I think he should probably sit for a year or two).



OL


1.Garett Bolles-Utah

I am still a huge fan of Bolles who is very athletic. In this weak O-Line class, he is still a 1st Round draft pick. He will be a franchise left tackle and could come out to be a very phenomenal tackle in the future.


2.Forrest Lamp-Western Kentucky

As another name that I haven’t evaluated yet, Forrest Lamp really helped himself at the Combine and I think he is probably the best OL(including Interior and OT) on the board. He has a unique skills set and will be an excellent blocker on the next level.


3.Ryan Ramczyk-Wisconsin

Obviously, because Ramczyk was injured I dropped him a couple spots, but he still will remain at the top of the class. I think once he recovers from his injury, he will still be a big time player in this league that teams playing him should be wary of him.


4.Cam Robinson-Alabama

Another name that I was surprised to see succeed was Cam Robinson. Before the combine I wasn’t very impressed, but he did well and I think he has surpassed Ramczyk for this spot. Whoever gets Robinson will be getting a good player.


5.Dion Dawkins-OG-Temple

Being one of the only guys I evaluated on tape in this guard group, Dawkins still has my vote as one of the top guys on the board. He did well at the Combine which further raises his stock. He will be a good strong blocker whether he plays outside at tackle or inside at guard.





LBs


1.Haason Reddick-Temple

Haason Reddick was, hands down, the best player at the Combine. He showed off freaky athleticism and I wasn’t that high on him before, but now he is a huge prospect that has snuck into the top 10 for me. He will be great as he plays LB and DE.


2.Reuben Foster-Alabama

Foster has incredible athletic ability, but the only thing holding him back for me is his Combine issue that has lingered for the past month and a half. I still think he will be a “thumper” on the inside and make difference on the defense.


3.Raekwon McMillan-Ohio State

McMillan is definitely a Top 10 Combine performance and his Combine completely
changed my opinion that he was a bust. I think if he goes and sits behind someone as they finish out their career, he can develop and become a big time player.


4.Jarrad Davis-Florida

Despite being injured, I think Jarrad Davis is a great prospect that could go in either the first of second round. We will be  a great inside linebacker in the future and will be an anchor with some team. I am a fan of the Gator and i think he is talented.







5.Zach Cunningham-Vanderbilt


Although Cunningham may not have had a good combine, he still played well at college and could be a good linebacker on the next level, but only if he improves upon his tackling skills. Personally, I am a fan of him and I wish for his success.





Edge Rushers


1.Myles Garrett-Texas A&M

If anyone doubted that Garrett was the best prospect in the draft, he shut out those opinions jumping 41 inches at the vertical jump and running 4.64 seconds in the 40 yard dash. He is hands down the best player in this class. In the words of Rich Eisen, “Welcome to Cleveland Myles!”


2.Derek Barnett-Tennessee

The biggest thing I learned from Barnett’s combine is that he is a trooper. He was sick and he still worked out. Some team will catch onto this and take him. I think he also has a great skill set and will be a good player on the next level.







3.Taco Charlton-Michigan

Charlton is a name to be aware of in this draft. He is a strong player that I think has an opportunity to pass Harris and McKinley on his way in the draft process. If I was ranking DE’s and OLBs, Charlton would definitely be higher and is better than Tim Williams in my mind.


4.Takk McKinley-UCLA

McKinley didn’t do bad at the combine, running a 4.59 40 yard dash and benching 24 reps. Personally, I think his draft stock rose and I think he will go in the mid teens of the 1st round instead of the 20s. He is still a good player that can play both OLB and DE.


5.Charles Harris-Mizzou

Harris is another guy that really did well at Day 3. He was classified as a 2nd round draft selection for me, but now, I think he will float into the 1st round and be an impact wherever he plays. Not unlike former teammate Shane Ray, he will go anywhere from 15-31.




DLs


1.Solomon Thomas-Stanford

Solomon Thomas did very well at the Combine and I think he increased his draft stock a bunch and  think he is a top 10 caliber player. He is versatile as well as he can play inside and outside. Personally, I think he will be better outside, but played well inside too.


2.Jonathan Allen-Alabama
Allen is still an exciting prospect and will be in the top 10. He is an all around great DL, playing both 3-4 DE and DT. I think he will be an impact player on the next level and with a pretty good Combine performance, he will be drafted high.



3.Malik McDowell-Michigan State

Malik McDowell was someone I didn’t see a lot of potential in, but with a strong day at the Combine, he really improved his stock. I think he will be a great nose tackle at the next level and is definitely a 1st or 2nd round pick for 1 team.


4.Caleb Brantley-Florida

Brantley was one of my favorite Defensive Lineman coming in, but he really showed me his inconsistency at the next level in the Combine, so I moved  him down past McDowell. Regardless, he will still be a 1st to 2nd round pick.


5.Chris Wormley-Michigan

Wormley has been unable to participate in any of the pre-draft activities, but he is still good enough to jump into the top 5 overtaking Larry Ogunjobi. I believe Wormley will succeed as he did at Michigan in a beefed up DL and he could also play DE as well.





CBs

1.Marshon Lattimore-Ohio State

Despite a lack of experience, Lattimore is still the best CB in the draft and I think he will be a very high pick. I give him a lot of credit for being the best corner in this loaded class. He will be a big time corner wherever he goes and I remember watching his speed and burst.


2.Gareon Conley-Ohio State

Conley’s draft stock has skyrocketed to this point. I believe in him as when I first evaluated him, I put him higher than other corners on my board. He will be great on the next level and one tem will catch on to that.


3.Quincy Wilson-Florida

Wilson is underrated. I saw a lot of good things on his tpe and I think he has the ability to battle the new type of wideout we see in the NFL today. He played in a loaded Florida secondary and I think he will be great in the NFL, a team just has to take a chance on him.


4.Tre’Davious White-LSU

Tre’Davious White has fallen since my last rankings, but has stayed in the Top 5 since February. I think he will be a talented CB on the next level, he just needs to improve on things such as tackling and building bulk on his slender frame.
.

5.Chidobe Awuzie-Colorado

Awuzie would be a developmental nickel corner that can play back in safety as well as corner. He shined as the leader at Colorado and I think would be a terrific addition to any NFL team as a starter or backup.






S’s

1.Jamal Adams-LSU

Adams displayed great skills at the Combine and I think he is very deserving of being the #1 safety in the class. He will be a great run stopping safety and will shut down opposing wideouts with elite coverage skills as well. Yet another great DB from LSU.


2.Malik Hooker-Ohio State

Even with Hooker being injured causing him to miss out at Combine activities, Malik is still a shutdown player. If you have a chance watch his interception against Bowling Green and you will see what I mean. His ranginess and ball skills definitely make him stand out in 2017.


3.Jabrill Peppers-Michigan

Peppers lit up the Combine in Day 3 and Day 4. After watching him the first time, I wasn’t impressed, but with his athletic ability, I just couldn’t help, but fall in love with him at the Combine. He will be a star in whatever position he plays, wherever he plays.


4.Budda Baker-Washington

Baker is still one of my favorite players coming out of college in the draft. He will be a huge help in whichever team he goes to and has the potential to lead a defense. He plays as a free safety and will be great over the top. This would be a great pickup for a team.



5.Obi Melifonwu-UCONN

Let’s be honest, the only reason Melifonwu is on this list is because he jumped out of the gym at the Combine. He really showed me his athleticism and I think he pulled himself up into the 2nd round. He is an amazing talent that will shut opposing wideouts down in the future.

Note: Any logos in this mock are not owned by me. All logos or images depicted in this mock belong to their respected football/collegiate clubs or programs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 NFL Mock Draft(4/26)

What is Deshaun Watson's True Potential?

Post Draft Grades for Each Day Two Pick